Monday, May 10, 2010

Air Guitar - Nordic Thunder


A few weeks ago, I spent a long evening shooting at Metro in Chicago after hearing that they would be hosting a Regional competition of the US Air Guitar Championships.

There would be 18 contenders and my plan was to go in and shoot portraits of the contestants
with some action shots to go along with it if I could.

I arrived early to set-up my lighting equipment, but in the end wasn't allowed in until the venue opened to the public. Despite some friendly help from the staff at Metro, I didn't really get a great place to shoot, it was just way too tight and allowed me to only shoot with a one-light set-up. I ended up shooting using my Alien Bee 800 with a 22'' beauty dish with the grid spot in it and it was all powered by the Paul C Buff Vanguard battery (basically a car battery with an inverter attached.) It worked great, but I lost a little only using one light and having a small space, as I had to shoot tighter than I wanted.

So here is Justin Howard aka Nordic Thunder, a three-time champion of Chicago Region.

No comments:

Post a Comment